Thomas V. Frederick, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, College of Psychology & Counseling; Assessment Coordinator for College of Psychology & Counseling
Phone: (714) 879-3901 x1310
Office: Room 215
- Ph.D., Marital and Family Therapy, Fuller Graduate School of Psychology, Pasadena, CA
- M.A.T., Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA
- M.A., Psychology, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA
- B.S., Psychology, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, LMFT
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) Clinical Member
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT) Approved Supervisor
- Christian Principles in MFT – Online and traditional format
- Life Span Development
- Research Methodology
- Substance Abuse and the Family
- Treatment of Older Adults
- MFT Practicum
- Statistics (Traditional Undergraduate)
- General Social Science Research Methods (Traditional Undergraduate)
- AAMFT Clinical Member and Approved Supervisor
- Clinical Member of CAMFT
- Member of American Association of Christian Counselors
- Member, Society for Christian Psychology
- Member, Christian Association for Psychology Studies (CAPS)
- Member, National Council on Family Relations (NCFR)
- Integrating Christianity and psychology
- Spirituality in marriage and family therapy
- Gender and the sociology of religion
- Theories of marriage and family therapy
- Bowen Family Systems Theory
- Theological and psychological anthropology
Spiritual Transformation: Honoring Spiritual Traditions in Psychotherapy. Anticipated completion August 2013. Submitted for review.
Autobiography and Spirituality: Implications for Pastoral Care Practice. Anticipated completion December 2013.
Recent Developments in Christian Theological Anthropology.
In New Directions in Anthropology Research. Nova Science Press. 2012. Book Chapter.
Models of Marriage and Family Therapy: A Christian Appraisal.
Linus Publications. 2012. ISBN: 1-60797-283-2. Book.
The Sexual Division of Household Labor
Coauthored with Jack O. Balswick. Psychology, 2, 509-516. (2011). DOI: 10.4236/psych.2011.25079. Journal Article.
An Interpretation of Evangelical Gender Ideology: Implications for a Theology of Gender In Theology & Sexuality. 2011. 183-192. Published online August 2011. DOI: 10.1558/tse.v16i2.183. Journal Article.
Core Competencies and Christian Education: An Integrative Approach to Education in Marriage and Family Therapy Programs
In The ICCTE Journal: A Journal of the International Community of Christians in Teacher Education. Coauthored with Laura L. Steele, Psy.D. 2010. http://icctejournal.org/issues/v5i2/v5i2-frederick-steele/. Journal Article.
A Christian Perspective on Hope, Expectancies, and Therapy (pp. 151-164).
In Psychology of Expectations. Edited by Pablo Leon and Nino Tamez. Nova Science Press. 2010. Book Chapter.
Models of Psychotherapy: Implications for Pastoral Care PracticePastoral Psychology, 58, 351-363, 2009. Journal Article.
Spirituality and Discipleship from a Christian Perspective
Pastoral Psychology, 58, 553-560, 2008. Journal Article.
Solution Focused Therapy and the Kingdom of God: A Cosmological Integration
Pastoral Psychology, 56, 413-419, 2008. Journal Article.
- Evangelical Gender Ideology: A view from Christianity Today readersWith Jack O. Balswick, Journal of Religion and Society, 8. <http://moses.creighton.edu/jrs/2006/2006-13.html>. Journal Article.
Current Research Projects
Thomas V. Frederick (PI), Robert Pate, Brad T. Overholser, Peace Amadi, Susan L. Hastings, Wojciech Michael Organistko*, & Jacqueline V. Bran*, Integrating Faith and Learning Project. Data collection to begin in fall 2013. *denotes student contributor.
I have presented on the intersection of gender and Evangelical religion to local congregations. I have also presented on the topic of Christian approaches to marriage and family therapy as well as spousal and substance abuse.
I enjoy reading science-fiction novels, Star Wars, volunteering at church with the children’s ministry, and playing video games.
PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION/FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
- Gal. 3:28-29. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.
- Psalm 118:1. Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His loving kindness is everlasting.