Carl N. Toney, Ph.D.
Chair of Graduate Ministry Program, Associate Professor, Hope International Univ.
Adjunct Professor, Fuller Theological Seminary
Phone: (714) 879-3901 x1204
Office: Nutwood Rm. 331
- PhD (NT & Early Christianity), Loyola Univ., Chicago, IL
- MDiv, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA
- BA (Theological Studies), Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- BIB1225 History & Literature of the Early Christians
- BIB4400 Matthew
- BIB3420 Romans
- MIN5400 Leadership
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Pauline Literature (especially, Romans, Corinthian Correspondence)
- Rhetorical Criticism
- Theological Pedagogy
- Technology in the Classroom
- New Testament Foundations. Newly Revised Edition. Wipf n Stock, Eugene, OR (with Ralph P. Martin), forthcoming
- 2 Corinthians, rev. ed., Ralph P. Martin. WBC. Waco: Word. (co-editor and contributor with Ralph P. Martin), forthcoming
- 1-2 Corinthians. Cornerstone Biblical Commentary. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale. (with William Baker and Ralph P. Martin), 2009
- Paul’s Inclusive Ethic: Resolving Community Conflicts and Promoting Mission in Romans 14–15. WUNT 2/252. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck. (author), 2008
- “2 Corinthians and Rhetorical Criticism.” In 2 Corinthians, rev. ed., Ralph P. Martin. WBC. Waco: Word., forthcoming
- “The Composition of 2 Corinthians.” In 2 Corinthians, rev. ed., Ralph P. Martin. WBC. Waco: Word., forthcoming
- “The Resurrection in 2 Corinthians.” In 2 Corinthians, rev. ed., Ralph P. Martin. WBC. Waco: Word., forthcoming
- “Engaging Students on the Internet Using Wiki Technology to Improve Your Class Notes.” In Teaching the Bible in the Undergraduate Liberal Arts Context. Eds. Glenn Holland and Jane Webster. Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press., forthcoming
- “Paul in Acts.” In Issues in Luke-Acts. Eds. Sean Adams and Michael Pahl. Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias Press., forthcoming
- “Rethinking Christian Justice.” Journal of Lutheran Ethics 10.7, 2010
- “Introducing Exegesis with the OIDA Method.” Teaching Theology and Religion 12.4., 2009
- “The Wiki Way: Improving Your Class Notes Using the Internet for Online Student Collaboration.” SBL FORUM., 2008
Reviews and Abstracts
- “Review of Hate the Evil, Hold Fast to the Good: Structuring Romans 12.1-15.1 by Kuo-Wei Peng.” Review of Biblical Literature., 2008
- “Review of Incandescence: Light Shed Through the Word by Ben Witherington III." Anglican Theological Review., 2007
- “Review of The Gravity of Sin by Matt Jenson.” Anglican Theological Review., 2007
- “Review of Understanding Matthew: the Early Christian Worldview of the First Gospel by Stephen Westerholm.” Anglican Theological Review., 2007
- “Review of The Book of Acts: Form, Style, and Theology by Martin Dibelius edited by K. Hanson.” Review of Biblical Literature., 2005
- Abstractor of Near Eastern Archaeology. 68.1-2 to present for Religious and Theological Abstracts., 2005-present
- Abstractor of Lutheran Theological Journal. 38.3 to present for Religious and Theological Abstracts., 2004-present
- Abstractor of Theology and the Arts. 16.1 to present for Religious and Theological Abstracts., 2004-present
“Components to Effective Online Teaching.” Paper Presented at the Pacific Coast Regional SBL Conference. Fullerton, CA.
“Teaching Tips: Making Friends with the Internet.” Paper Presented at the Stone-Campbell Journal Conference. Nashville, TN.
“Jesus as the Son of Man: Son of Man Reflections in Light of Ezekiel, Daniel, and 1 Enoch.” Paper Presented at the Stone-Campbell Journal Conference. Lincoln, IL.
“Paul’s Illiterate Reference Letter in 2 Cor 3.” Paper Presented at the Second Corinthians Unit during the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. New Orleans, LA.
“Getting ‘to Know’ Biblical Exegesis: the OIDA Method.” Paper Presented at the Best Practices in Teaching Workshop during the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. Boston, MA.
“Paul's Rhetorical Strategy in Romans 14-15.” Paper Presented at the Rhetoric and the New Testament Section during the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. San Diego, CA.
“Did Anything Good Come from Wikipedia? Engaging Students on the Internet Using Wiki Technology to Improve Your Class Notes.” Paper Presented at the Teaching Biblical Literature in an Undergraduate Liberal Arts Context Section during the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. San Diego, CA.
“Making Your Classroom 2.0 Using Wiki and Video Technologies.” Presentation at the Creative Inquiry and the Future of Higher Education Conference for the Annual Meeting of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. San Jose, CA.
“SOM(e) Reflections in Daniel and the Similitudes.” Paper Presented at the Scripture in Early Judaism and Christianity Section during the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. Washington, DC.
“Looking at the Relationship of the Seer with the Heavenly Figure in Light of Son of Man Imagery.” Keynote Paper Presented at the Loyola/Marquette Conference. Loyola University Chicago.
“Response Paper to ‘Dreams and Visions in Acts.’” Paper Presented at Engaging Particularities: New Directions in Comparative Theology, Interreligious Dialogue, Theology of Religions and Missiology. Boston College.
“Persuading You of Paul’s Rhetoric in Romans 14.1ff.” Paper Presented at the Marquette/Loyola Conference. Marquette University.
Sailing, drawing, reading, going to concerts, spending time with my wife and kids
PERSONAL MISSION STATEMENT:
I desire to help students discover their vocation and calling as servant leaders. My teaching focuses upon scholarship, discipleship, and praxis in order to equip students to be faith-thinkers. I draw upon over ten years of academic experience and over ten years of pastoral ministry in order to help students integrate their faith and learning. My classes are student-centered, geared toward empowering students to change their world for Christ. In the classroom, I challenge students to Christian praxis, to not just have a better theology (which is important), but to be empowered by God to do something (which is crucial).
- My personal website: Carl N. Toney
- Holy Land pictures with explanations: Holy Land Photos
- The Online Greek Bible
- Early Christian Writings
- Perseus Digital Library
- Fordham's Internet Ancient History Sourcebook
- Free Books in Biblical Studies and Related Fields