B.A. Social Science with a Concentration in Child Development
At Hope, this program prepares students for work in the fields of psychology, ministry or early childhood education. Christian ethics are integrated into each course, providing students with opportunities to consider the types of issues they will encounter as child development specialists, particularly in the increasingly diverse landscape of California. Graduates will be able to work in a variety of settings to apply their broad understanding of child growth, development and maturation processes. The B.A. in Social Science with a Concentration in Child Development program is 125 units.
- Child Life Specialists
- Pre-School or Elementary School Teachers
- Counselors and Psychotherapists
- Child Psychologists
- Social Worker
- Learning Specialist
- Child Development Specialist
- The American Psychological Association is a scientific and professional organization based in Washington DC and is the largest association of psychologists in the world.
- The California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists is a professional organization.
- The Child Life Council is a nonprofit organization of individuals dedicated to the goal of helping children and families overcome challenging life events.
- The National Association of Science Writers is a forum that promotes good science writing.
- Child Development
- Psychology of Adolescence
- Research Practicum
Real World Opportunities
As a student in the Child Development program, you have a number of opportunities to take your studies off campus. Each student engages in child research or completes a practicum that involves observation and discussion with an individual working in a related career. These experiences allow students to gain invaluable experience as clinicians and educators in training. In addition, we highly encourage you to take advantage of our study abroad programs, which will provide you with an opportunity to experience different world cultures.
Social Science: Child Development Major
"Going to Hope has been such a blessing! My classes have taught me practical skills in the field of Child Development. The faculty and staff have invested themselves in my life and made themselves available to me even outside of the classroom. I know my experience at Hope is growing me intellectually and spiritually, and is building a foundation for me to influence Godís precious children in future years to come."